Orange County supervisors are set to consider a board subcommittee’s redistricting proposal. Every 10 years, the U.S. Census releases new population figures, triggering a process of redrawing the lines of political representation.
Tuesday’s public hearing on redistricting is the second of two the board must hold, according to a city staff report. A third hearing is set for Sept. 13.
In Santa Ana, the City Council is scheduled to consider a new map for the special tax district that funds Downtown Inc., the organization responsible for promoting and cleaning up the city’s downtown core. The map would shrink the boundaries of the district, excluding many of the outlying property owners who argue that they receive no benefit for their tax dollars.
Council members are also set to consider whether to schedule a public hearing to eliminate the special tax district. They’re also scheduled to consider classification changes at the city’s police department and the renaming of a future Latino cultural plaza at the corner of North French and East Fourth streets.
Here is a rundown of these items and more that are on this week’s public agendas:
Orange County Board of Supervisors, Tuesday, Aug. 23
- A board subcommittee’s redistricting proposal.
- A briefing on plans for a new NFL stadium/complex that would be built in Industry Hills.
- Salary reopener agreements with various labor groups.
- A three-month extension on an agreement with the Orange County Fire Authority for aircraft firefighting and rescue services at John Wayne Airport.
- An agreement with Merchants Landscape Services for landscape services at five regional parks.
- Agreements with ACCESS California Services and Vietnamese Community of Orange County to provide social services, including naturalization services, for refugees.
- Responses to grand jury reports on prescription drugs for seniors, the Youth Leadership Academy and compensation disclosure in local governments.
- Renewing an agreement with Mercer Health & Benefits for consulting on employee benefits and actuarial services.
- Approving the scope of work for bids on a contract negotiator for 2012 labor negotiations.
- One case of existing litigation: State of California vs. Kirkhill-TA Co.
- A conference with labor negotiator County CEO Tom Mauk about negotiations with the Orange County Managers Association and Orange County Attorneys Association.
Anaheim City Council, Tuesday, Aug. 23
- Approving a budget for a state grant to the Police Department.
- Making an appointment to the Community Services Board.
- Discussing litigation with Qualified Patients and Priceline.com.
- Discussing negotiations about property at 737 S. Kroeger Street.
Santa Ana City Council, Wednesday, Aug. 24
- Adjusting the boundaries of the special property tax district that funds Downtown Inc.
- Establishing a public hearing to possibly disestablish the special property tax district that funds Downtown Inc.
- Including the incumbent Police Officers Association president in the PARS trust plan.
- Adding part-time job titles to the police department.
- Renaming the plaza at North Fourth and East French streets
- Discussion about appointing a new city attorney.
- Conferring with the city’s labor negotiator about negotiations with several labor groups.
Irvine City Council, Tuesday, Aug. 23
- Adjusting the fee schedule for rental of public facilities.
- Establishing a consulting group to make sure the wildlife corridor will connect to the Coastal Reserve and the Cleveland National Forest.
- Possible lawsuit over the state’s rejection of a city claim to computer software supplier sales tax revenue.
Orange City Council, Tuesday, Aug. 23
- Approving the city’s fiscal 2011-12 budget.
- Considering a report on the effects of a referendum to appeal the general plan amendment for Ridgeline Equestrian Estates.
- Approving an amendment to a loan agreement between the city and Friendly Center.