Topping this week’s public meeting agendas in Orange County is an employment package in Santa Ana to hire David Cavazos, city manager of Phoenix, to be city manager in Santa Ana.
Cavazos’ appointment comes after a tumultuous period for the city’s leadership.
After longtime former City Manager Dave Ream retired in 2011, council members and Mayor Miguel Pulido haggled behind closed doors for months regarding his replacement. They eventually settled on former Police Chief Paul Walters, Pulido’s preferred candidate, after Pulido lined up enough votes to make the appointment.
But after Walters was credited with pulling the city from the brink of bankruptcy, council members grew increasingly unhappy with their decision to back Pulido’s candidate. A struggle ensued between the council majority and Pulido for power over the city’s bureaucracy, and the majority ousted Walters earlier this year.
Huntington Beach is scheduled to consider revising its alcohol laws in the wake of a riot after the U.S. Open of Surfing competition and opposing a confidentiality agreement between the Orange County Water District and Poseidon Resources to study a desalination plant for the city.
In Fullerton, the City Council will consider precluding future council members from joining the California Public Employees Retirement System.
Santa Ana City Council, Monday, Aug. 5, at 5:45 p.m.
- Economic development agreement with IPC to relocate and operate in Santa Ana.
- Agreement with David Cavazos to be city manager.
- Zoning ordinance to allow emergency housing shelters.
- Request for qualifications to develop Third Street and Broadway parking structure.
- Request for qualifications for renovation and reuse of Y.M.C.A. property.
- Contract in the amount of $1.7 million with Correctional Managed Care Medical Corp. to provide inmate medical services at the Santa Ana Jail.
Huntington Beach City Council, Monday, Aug. 5, at 6 p.m.
- Changing the city’s alcohol laws in the wake of a riot at the U.S. Open of Surfing competition.
- A letter opposing entering into a confidentiality agreement between the Orange County Water District and Poseidon Resources to study the economic feasibility of a seawater desalination plant in the city.
Fullerton City Council, Tuesday, Aug. 6, at 6:30 p.m.
- Forbidding future City Council members from joining the California Public Employees Retirement System.
Garden Grove City Council special meeting, Tuesday, Aug. 6, at 6:30 p.m.
- Consideration of placing on the Aug. 13 agenda three resolutions to designate the Korean Business District, Little Saigon and Grove District as honorary city landmarks.
Aliso Viejo City Council, Wednesday, Aug. 8, at 7 p.m.
- Approving an appropriation of $25,000 to search for a new city manager.
Laguna Beach City Council, Tuesday, Aug. 6, at 6 p.m.
- Approving a two-year contract with Townsend Public Affairs for lobbying services for $120,000.
- Approving an ordinance that would make electronic cigarettes subject to the same regulations and prohibitions as regular tobacco cigarettes.
Lake Forest City Council, Tuesday, Aug. 6, at 7 p.m.
- Approving a 3 percent salary increase for City Manager Robert Dunek to $247,876.
Voice of OC interns Thy Vo and Brendan Wiles contributed to this report.