After a decade of daily publishing, this small nonprofit newsroom is changing the civic and arts landscape in Orange County.
As the only free source of local civic and arts news in Orange County, Voice of OC holds a unique position in this community of three million people who for too long lived in America’s largest Metropolitan news desert.
As 2020 approaches, Voice of OC is in a unique position to take off as one of America’s strongest and most financially stable nonprofit newsrooms.
Here are some of Voice of OC’s exciting directions for the future:
• A partnership between Voice of OC and Chapman University enables young journalists an opportunity to report on real stories happening across the county, making a direct impact on community engagement and accountability.
• An expanding news team means more reporters and editors covering even more of the county’s most important issues including housing, transportation, utilities, arts, development, education and recreation.
• City-by-city pages that offer more than just news but also live data, links to vital civic information, local community opinions, upcoming city events and more.
• Investment in making stories easier to read and follow including more detailed infographic breakdowns of data, interactive maps and improved ways to read Voice of OC on your phone or tablet.
But we need your help. We can’t do this without your support.
Now through Dec. 31 you can triple your donation (up to $1,000) through the national NewsMatch fund supporting independent journalism and a local matching fund. New monthly recurring donations are matched for the full year's value.
• Every person who gives during NewsMatch 2019 and enters a mailing address will be sent a special-edition silver Voice of OC enamel pin.
• If you give at least $20 as a recurring monthly donation, you will receive a New York Times one-year digital subscription code.
• You can join the exclusive ambassador's program (including invitations to private events) for $1,000 every year or $84 every month.
Sonya Quick, Digital Editor, Voice of OC
P.S. We believe that nonprofit newsrooms play a central role in engaging communities on the local, national, and global issues that matter most. And your support makes what we do each day at Voice of OC possible. Will you support journalism that matters?