Orange County residents could see their trash prices bumped up next year as city leaders negotiate with the county-owned landfills over how much they have to pay to dump trash. 

Discussions around a cost increase come as the county’s waste disposal agreement set up with county cities in 2015 is set to expire at the end of June. 

While price hikes were initially set to hit this year, city leaders and the county agreed to a new, one-year extension with just a 2.6% increase that would give them until June 2026 to work out a long term plan.  

Under that new plan, cities have to pay just under $44 a ton to dump their trash in the county landfills, up from $42.65. 

City councils across the county still have to approve that plan, with many expected to discuss it over the next few weeks. 

But that low rate is unlikely to last.

The county waste management department originally asked for cities to up their rates to $82 a ton last year, a 92.3% increase. 

Tom Koutroulis, director of the county’s waste and recycling, said the costs have to increase to keep up with operations in a statement. 

“The proposed rate increase is in response to a combination of increasing operational costs associated with building out disposal capacity and regulatory compliance to protect public health and the environment,” Koutroulis said. 

The rate hikes were pushed back after the Orange County City Manager Association requested a delay at the end of last year, asking for more time to review the future contract. 

It also comes as the Brea Olinda landfill, one of the county’s three landfills, is nearing max capacity, forcing more trash to the Bowerman and Prima Descheca sites instead. 

[Read: Irvine Asks Future Homeowners to Sign Away Right to Sue Nearby Landfill]

Dana Point city council members were among the first in the county to address the issue at their April 15 meeting, ultimately approving the yearlong extension but noting they wanted the longerm deal to be scrubbed. 

“Scrutinize the heck out of it,” said Mayor Matthew Pagano.

Councilman Jamey Federico called it a “disaster,” and questioned if the county was still accepting imported trash. 

The county is set to continue accepting imported trash from other counties, a policy that’s been in place since the county bankruptcy in 1994 as a way to generate additional revenue.

Trash from outside the county made up around 35% of all the trash brought in last year according to a March report from the county waste and recycling department.

Councilman Mike Frost also brought up the possibility of exporting their trash to a cheaper dump. 

“I have no problem if we take a look at other directions, I don’t care where we send the trash,” Frost said. “I want to make sure we have the most cost effective solutions.” 

Noah Biesiada is a Voice of OC reporter and corps member with Report for America, a GroundTruth initiative. Contact him at nbiesiada@voiceofoc.org.