Topping this week’s actions in local government, the Orange County Board of Supervisors will react to concerns of potential bid rigging at the county Fire Authority, and Irvine makes its government a bit more transparent.
County supervisors are scheduled Tuesday to follow through on removing the Orange County Fire Authority’s ability to award ambulance contracts in unincorporated areas.
The issue of potential bid rigging at the agency emerged after Supervisor Todd Spitzer revealed an email showing that Fire Authority staff organized a special meeting for current vendors before bidding.
In Irvine, city government is set to become a bit more transparent. The City Council is scheduled Tuesday to approve posting officials’ campaign finance disclosures and economic interest statements online.
And Irvine council members are also set to approve a new agreement with the county Fire Authority that calls for payments to the city to partially compensate for taxpayers’ greatly overpaying for fire services.
That was the subject of a heated debate two weeks ago, when Councilman Larry Agran and two other council members threatened to remove Councilman Jeff Lalloway as the city’s representative to the Fire Authority if he didn’t promote the deal.
Lalloway said the deal doesn’t go far enough to compensate taxpayers.
On the Garden Grove City Council agenda is approval of $42 million in bonds for the private Waterpark Hotel project, along with the transfer of city land to the developer.
And the Orange City Council is set to cut the frequency of public meetings from twice to once per month and change starting times from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
In suggesting the move, city staff are citing recent light agendas and the staff time required to prepare for meetings.
Here’s a rundown of what’s up for debate this week across Orange County:
Monday, Oct. 7
Costa Mesa City Council Special Meeting — 10 a.m.
- Discussion about starting litigation over an unspecified issue.
- Discussion of labor negotiations and appointment of a new city manager.
Tuesday, Oct. 8
- Removing the Orange County Fire Authority’s ability to award contracts for ambulance services in unincorporated areas.
- Requesting approval from the California Board of State and Community Corrections for $80 million to build jail rehabilitation, treatment and housing space.
- Approving a $400,000, one-year architect-engineer contract with Project Dimensions for unspecified projects at Orange County Community Resources.
- Canceling the Nov. 19 regular meeting, at the request of Supervisor John Moorlach.
Orange City Council — 4:30 p.m.
- Scheduling council meetings from twice per month to once, and setting starting time at 5:30 p.m.
- Approving a contract with Hardy and Harper for implementation of Community Development Block Grant street improvement funds for $808,000.
Anaheim City Council — 5 p.m.
- Transferring authority to the city manager to sign Mills Act agreements designating houses as historic structures for tax discounts.
- Approving a $490,000-per-year contract with Cypress Security for security guard services at unspecified locations.
- Approving a conditional use permit for a proposed restaurant, banquet area and smoking lounge at 420 S. Brookhurst St.
Irvine City Council — 5 p.m.
- Approving amended joint powers authority agreement for the Orange County Fire Authority and directing city staff to prepare a strategy for the payments that the new agreement would bring to the city.
- Extending by seven months the office lease at 32 Discovery at the Great Park.
San Clemente City Council — 5 p.m.
- Public hearing on the draft Centennial General Plan, draft environmental impact report, draft bicycle and pedestrian master plan and draft climate action plan.
- Receiving an update on student dress code policies.
- Public hearing on a charter petition for 21st Century Global Academy.
- Deciding whether to approve or deny a charter petition for Magnolia Science Academy.
- Acknowledging charter petitions from United Charter School and Irvine/Newport Development Area Charter School.
- Adopting initial bargaining proposals for the 2013-16 school years from the Santa Ana Educators’ Association and the California School Employees Association Chapter 41.
- Appointing an acting superintendent and related terms.
- Property negotiations over Carlson Avenue in the city of Irvine.
Garden Grove City Council — 6:30 p.m.
- Approving the implementation agreement for the Waterpark Hotel, including transferring city property to the developer and issuing $42 million in tax bonds for the project.
Wednesday, Oct. 9
Westminster City Council — 7 p.m.
- Extending 2013 furloughs to include Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014.
- Amending city land use code and rezoning a 21-acre area for emergency shelters, transitional and supportive housing for the homeless.
Adam Elmahrek, Brendan Wiles and Thy Vo contributed to this report.