Santa Ana City Attorney Sonia Carvalho said Monday she is investigating a questionable property swap involving Mayor Miguel Pulido and will likely report back to the City Council at its next regular meeting in two weeks.

Last month, Voice of OC reported that in 2010, Rupen James Akoubian, president of NAPA Orange County Auto Parts, sold a Westminster home to the Pulido family for $230,000 less than fair market value. Then in 2012, the mayor sold the home at a $197,000 profit.

During the nearly two years between those transactions, Pulido voted for two separate contracts for NAPA Orange County Auto Parts, including a three-year contract in 2011 worth $1.35 million that made the Santa Ana-based NAPA store the city’s exclusive auto parts provider.

Good-government experts questioned whether the home represented an illegal gift to the mayor, if not worse.

At the last council meeting, a couple of residents demanded an investigation into questions raised by the Voice of OC article. Carvalho said at the time that she hadn’t been formally asked by the City Council to conduct such a probe.

Nonetheless, Carvalho confirmed to reporters at Monday’s council meeting that she has been reviewing the circumstances presented in the article. She said that nobody had directed her to investigate the situation but that it was her responsibility under the city charter to look into “allegations that might impact city contracts.”

There will also be “options on how to respond” in her upcoming report to the council, Carvalho said. She refused to disclose what those options could entail, saying she didn’t want to comment prematurely.

On Dec. 30, the council’s ethics subcommittee will consider creating a process to handle such allegations in the future, she said.

Please contact Adam Elmahrek directly at aelmahrek@voiceofoc.org and follow him on Twitter: twitter.com/adamelmahrek

Since you've made it this far,

You are obviously connected to your community and value good journalism. As an independent and local nonprofit, our news is accessible to all, regardless of what they can afford. Our newsroom centers on Orange County’s civic and cultural life, not ad-driven clickbait. Our reporters hold powerful interests accountable to protect your quality of life. But it’s not free to produce. It depends on donors like you.

BREAKING TEXT ALERTS

Subscribe today to receive Voice of OC’s breaking news text messages (free beyond your standard messaging rates).

Join the conversation: In lieu of comments, we encourage readers to engage with us across a variety of mediums. Join our Facebook discussion. Message us via our website or staff page. Send us a secure tip. Share your thoughts in a community opinion piece.