Young girls in Anaheim may soon have a direct pathway to explore leadership, civic involvement, and careers in public service, through a new Girls in Government city initiative.

Anaheim City Council members voted unanimously last month to formally adopt the Girls in Government event as a city-sponsored program.

The program is expected to offer junior high and high school girls real time exposure to local government, featuring workshops, mentors and professional development.


Editors’ Note: This dispatch is part of the Voice of OC Collegiate News Service, working with student journalists to cover public policy issues across Orange County. If you would like to submit your own student media project related to Orange County civics or if you have any response to this work, contact admin@voiceofoc.org.


The inaugural event, first held in 2024, included approximately 80 students, who were provided with the opportunity to listen to panelists speak, and attend breakout sessions and workshops on business etiquette and financial fitness. ⁠

Councilwoman Natalie Rubalcava said the initiative was one of her top priorities.

“I think that it’s beneficial now that we have a majority female council to go ahead and continue this initiative,” said Rubalcava in a council meeting April 22. 

Five of the seven Anaheim City Council members are women. 

Rubalcava said it’s important to her that young girls in Anaheim are aware of their career opportunities. 

“It’s a workforce development making sure that our girls in our neighborhoods are aware of the career opportunities, like a pipeline program for making sure that our youth see the benefits of working for city government,” she said. 

Now city staff will begin planning the next Girls in Government event, scheduled for Fall 2025.

Previous workshops included “Acing the Interview.”

Councilwoman Norma Campos Kurtz questioned whether the program would impact the city’s existing budgets. 

“I just ask you to please keep funding the FMRC’s (Family Mobile Resource Center) very important and our senior programs and if you can tell me that those won’t be affected, I’ll second,” said Kurtz in a council meeting April 22. 

Rubalcava said private sponsorships had offset program costs, raising nearly $10,000 to fund materials, meals, giveaways and event logistics. 

Sponsors included OCVIBE, AltaMed, Congressman Lou Correa, Meghan Shigo Realtor, Cal State Fullerton, SoCalGas, and the Anaheim Police Association

Rubalcava said the program is designed for Anaheim residents.

“One of the intentional things that we did as a committee was not mimic what’s already being done with youth and government,” said Rubalcava. “The city of Tustin also does something similar but we looked at what they did and then enhanced it for Anaheim.” 

Councilman Carlos Leon also said he supports the initiative. 

“As part of the male minority of the council, I am definitely proud to support this initiative.”