Publisher Norberto Santana Jr. writes that Orange County supervisors should reimburse local taxpayers for the more than $120,000 in legal fees they just had to pay Voice of OC after losing a public records lawsuit. It likely won’t be the last time the courts are needed to pry public records loose and Santana says Voice of OC will stay on the case.
County Supervisors Tuesday unanimously voted to pay Voice of OC $121,396 in legal fees after losing a Superior Court case for refusing to release public records about Supervisor Todd Spitzer’s handcuffing a preacher at a Wahoo’s restaurant.
County Supervisor Todd Spitzer’s emails and Op-ed about handcuffing an evangelist while armed at a Wahoo’s on Good Friday 2015, are released as a result of a successful Voice of OC public records lawsuit.
Superior Court Judge Walter P. Schwarm Tuesday ordered the county to give Voice of OC emails between Supervisor Todd Spitzer and a former county information officer about Spitzer’s handcuffing an evangelist at a Wahoo’s restaurant.
Norberto Santana Jr. guided county Supervisor Todd Spitzer’s demands for a correction to an Orange County Register article that scrutinized the supervisor’s citizen’s arrest of a man last year, the county alleges in a court filing. Santana says the filing mischaracterizes the interaction.
After the newspaper published an account of a bizarre citizen’s arrest by Supervisor Todd Sptizer, Spitzer convinced Editor-in-Chief Rob Curley to make a change to the article, without notifying readers, that conflicted with other accounts. A prominent media ethicist called Curley’s act an “unethical overreach.”