Santa Ana Mayor Miguel Pulido announced Thursday a list of individuals and groups who are endorsing him in his race for re-election.
The endorsements listed:
- State Assemblyman Jose Solorio.
- Santa Ana School Board President Rob Richardson.
- Santa Ana School Board Member Jose Hernandez.
- Santa Ana Mayor Pro Tem Claudia Alvarez.
- Former Santa Ana Mayor Pro Tem Lisa Bist.
- Rancho Santiago Community College District Trustee Larry Labrado.
- Democratic Party of Orange County Chairman Frank Barbaro.
- Democratic Foundation of Orange County Chairman Dan Jacobson.
- Los Angeles-Orange County Building Trades Council.
- Orange County Professional Firefighters.
- Teamsters, Local 952.
Pulido is facing Santa Ana City Councilman David Benavides, who, with the backing of the council majority, represents the most formidable challenge in recent years to his 18-year reign as mayor.
The challenger has his own list of endorsements by groups that have traditionally backed Pulido. Benvaides’ list includes the Orange County Democratic Party, the Santa Ana Police Officers Association and the Orange County Labor Federation.
Benavides argues that Pulido’s tenure as City Hall’s distant and inaccessible gatekeeper has created an unhealthy business environment and stymied creative solutions to the city’s problems.
Pulido, meanwhile, trumpets accomplishments, like bringing the Discovery Science Center into the city and reducing the crime rate, as evidence that his leadership has been effective.
"Over the next few weeks, I will reach out to Santa Ana voters, feature key endorsements, and most importantly, share numerous accomplishments from my current term as Mayor,” Pulido stated in a news release.