Voice of OC posts press releases as a way of providing readers with information directly from businesses, cities, county and state agencies, political organizations and nonprofits. We do not edit or rewrite press releases. We allow readers to comment on releases, and we encourage readers to contact the originator of a given release for more information. To submit a press release email engagement editor Julie Gallego at email@example.com.
Superior Court of California County of Orange
Public Information Office Contact: Gwen Vieau, 657-622-7097 PIO@occourts.org
October 1, 2015
Santa Ana, CA – The Orange County Superior Court encourages Orange County residents to apply to serve on the next Grand Jury. A new 19-member Grand Jury will be empaneled for a one year term that begins July 1, 2016. Hon. Charles Margines, Assistant Presiding Judge and chair of the Grand Jury Recruitment/Selection Committee said, “I am hopeful that residents take advantage of this opportunity to work behind the scenes to improve Orange County. I would especially like to make a plea to individuals living in the cities of Anaheim, Brea, Buena Park, Garden Grove, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, La Habra, Placentia, Santa Ana, and Westminster to apply for service to represent these areas of Orange County.”
What does the Grand Jury do?
- Investigates the performance of county, city, and other local agencies
- Analyzes data and writes reports with recommendations for improvement
- Verifies that local tax dollars are spent wisely
- Examines conditions at local jails
- Decides on indictments for some criminal cases
- Looks into citizen complaints about local government agenciesAt the beginning of the term, members of the Grand Jury attend tours and briefings to increase their knowledge of the workings of county agencies to help them assess potential problems. Grand Jury reports from past civil investigations are posted online at www.ocgrandjury.org/reports.asp.Superior Court judges review applications and interview qualified applicants. The Orange County Sheriff’s Department conducts background investigations on top candidates. Selection of the 19-member Grand Jury is achieved by a random drawing of the top 25 to 30 candidates nominated for service to equally represent each of the five Orange County Supervisorial Districts, as required by law.What are the requirements to serve?
- At least 18 years old
- United States citizen
- Resident of Orange County for at least one year
- Sufficient knowledge of English
- In possession of sound judgment, good character, and a sense of fairnessAn application form and more information are available online at www.ocgrandjury.org, by calling the Grand Jury Hotline at 657-622-6747, or at the Jury Commissioner’s Office, 700 Civic Center Drive West, Santa Ana, 92701. The current stipend for Grand Jury service is $50 per day plus mileage reimbursement. Individuals meeting the above requirements are encouraged to apply. Completed applications must be received by Friday, January 22, 2016.Visit Our Web Site: www.occourts.org
Superior Court of California, County of Orange ● 700 Civic Center Drive West ● Santa Ana, CA 92701
Since you've made it this far,
You are obviously connected to your community and value good journalism. As an independent and local nonprofit, our news is accessible to all, regardless of what they can afford. Our newsroom centers on Orange County’s civic and cultural life, not ad-driven clickbait. Our reporters hold powerful interests accountable to protect your quality of life. But it’s not free to produce. It depends on donors like you.
Join the conversation: In lieu of comments, we encourage readers to engage with us across a variety of mediums. Join our Facebook discussion. Message us via our website or staff page. Send us a secure tip. Share your thoughts in a community opinion piece.