Voice of OC Publisher Norberto Santana, Jr., was asked to comment on the new ownership of the Los Angeles Times. He was one of several prominent people in Southern California identified by Southern California Public Radio.
“It’s a very important thing for the owner to be a person of color. The news industry is one of the least diverse industries anywhere, and that impacts coverage. And a person of color at the top understands that. You cannot adequately cover Southern California without understanding the diversity of all these communities,” Santana said.
- Los Angeles Times owner sells paper to local billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong, ending a long-troubled relationship [Washington Post]
- Tronc Sells The Los Angeles Times to Local Billionaire for $500 Million [New York Times]
- The Media’s Lack of Diversity and Why It Matters to You [Diversity Inc]
- An advocate for diversity in the media is still pressing for representation [Washington Post]
- The media isn’t diverse – and this leads to appalling reporting [Guardian]