Topping this week’s action in local government, the Orange County Board of Supervisors will vote on a massive computer contract, and the Anaheim City Council is set to strike an employment deal with its new city manager.
The supervisors will decide Tuesday whether to award a $134-million contract to Xerox State & Local Solutions to run the county's voice and data systems.
The contract is accompanied by an $8.9-million contract extension for Xerox’s current contract and a $243,000 contract increase for another vendor, SAIC.
County information technology contracting has been fraught with controversy because of millions of dollars in cost overruns and delays. The bidding process on this contract was no different, including intense lobbying of supervisors and closed-door meetings among supervisors’ staff members.
The current Xerox deal, for example, was originally set to expire in 2011 but is now set to be extended again to January 2014. It has already had 19 amendments.
Edwards, who was known to be close to previous City Manager Tom Wood, was the city's public utilities general manager from 2001 until this month and served as acting assistant city manager between 2009 and 2011.
Her appointment earlier this month came as a surprise, since she had said in May that she wasn’t interested in the job.
Under the proposed contract, Edwards would receive a $283,686 base salary and car allowance of around $7,800 per year or use of a city-owned car.
If Edwards is forced out of her position before December 2018, she would receive a severance equal to six months of pay.
Here’s a rundown of topics this week across Orange County:
Monday, July 22
- ACCESS paratransit services transition update.
- The 2014 long-range transportation plan context and key issues.
- The 2013 short-range transit plan.
- Request for proposals for freeway services patrol.
- Overview of 91 express lanes toll violation process.
Laguna Niguel City Council – 4 p.m.
- Approving the Crown Valley Park Master Plan.
Mission Viejo City Council – 5 p.m.
- Approving a two-year, $538,000 contract with American Guard Services for school crossing guard services.
Tuesday, July 23
- Awarding a $134-million, five-year contract to Xerox State & Local Solutions for voice and data network services, plus an $8.9-million contract extension for Xerox’s current contract and a $243,000 contract increase to SAIC.
- Approving proposed response to the recent grand jury report “The Culture of Harassment: Change on the Horizon.”
- Denying bid protest from K&J Air Conditioning on contract for heating, ventilation and air conditioning upgrades at the Los Alamitos Rossmoor Branch Library, and awardinga $342,000 contract to to Bon Air.
- Awarding a $1.4-million construction contract to PUB Construction, Inc. for improvements at the Theo Lacy Facility Communications Building for office space to be used by U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement.
- Approving an $827,000 agreement with the City of Santa Ana to provide housing and supportive services for people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Awarding a five-year, $3.3-million contract to Sentry Control Systems for maintaining the Parking and Revenue Control System at John Wayne Airport.
Anaheim City Council – 3 p.m.
- Urgency ordinance prohibiting mobile marijuana dispensaries.
- Second reading of ordinance establishing residency-based districts for City Council members.
- Allowing alcohol sales in stores and markets as small as 10,000 square feet on South Anaheim Boulevard
- Modifications to electricity rates, rules and regulations.
- Agreement with SeniorServ to utilize Brookhurst Community Center to provide meals, recreational activities and social services to senior citizens.
- An $888,950 agreement with Lionakis for design of the Ponderosa Park and Family Resource Center.
- Employment contract with City Manager Marcie Edwards.
Irvine City Council – 4 p.m.
- Transferring ownership of iShuttle buses from OCTA to Irvine.
- Settlement agreement between Irvine and Tustin.
- Adoption of a revised payment schedule for submission to the state Department of Finance on behalf of the successor agency to the city's former redevelopment agency.
- Distribution of Community Block Development Grant funds.
- Consideration of new sister cities relationship and trade mission to Taoyuan, Taiwan, and Seoul, Korea.
- Status report on Orange County Fire Authority ad hoc committee to study fire services equity and a contract with a consultant to evaluate OCFA services to Irvine.
- Interim city attorney report on change orders at Northwood Community Center project and approval of budget adjustment.
Santa Ana City Council Special Meeting – 5:45 p.m.
- Santa Ana/Garden Grove transit vision update.
Wednesday, July 24
Westminster City Council – 7 p.m.
- Approving the final, 2013-2014 seven-year Capital Improvement Program.
- Adopting an urgency interim ordinance for parking standards for retail shopping centers and eating and drinking establishments.
- Approving a contract with Parking Concepts for citywide parking control and enforcement.
- Approving a resolution to establish a new position of Administrative Services Director.
Rancho Santa Margarita City Council – 7 p.m.
- Authorizing allocation of more Community Development Block Grant funding.
Adam Elmahrek, Brendan Wiles and Thy Vo contributed to this report.